Home » Adobe Reader, Adobe Reader 9, Featured, Free, General News, Headline, Windows 7

Adobe Reader + Windows 7 — Browser viewing still dead.

9 May 2009 | | 27 Comments

UPDATE 13 March 2010: Looking to get answers to any more Windows 7, PDF and Adobe Reader issues? We’re getting a lot of discussion of Windows 7 versus Acrobat 9 at our  4x Help question and answer site on this issue.

Windows 7 and Adobe Reader 9.0

I’ve just loaded up the latest release candidate of Windows 7 Ultimate (version 6, build 7100) — it was an  upgrade on the previous (semi-dead-like-a-slug) 32-bit Vista installation. I’ve got 4GB of RAM,  however, on the first 3GB will be usable until I load up my 64-bit version.

In starting my test with Adobe Reader, I downloaded the latest Adobe Reader (9.1 at the time, and 42mb download) for Windows Vista. I had already installed the app on Windows Vista, so this was a repair install — I had no problem with this completing, although, admittedly, as I mentioned, this was a repair not fresh.

That said, in our previous article Rowan said that he was able to do this from-scratch on a fresh Windows 7 machine.

About to download IRS form...
…. here goes … nope … when viewing a PDF on a website —  (I selected the IRS Publication 590 [fascinating reading!]) with Chrome (1.0.154.59, my browser stays blank or pops up an error, and with IE (8.0.7100.0), it tries to download to the desktop.

...Just after clicking on PDF

Still no problems using Foxit Reader.

Side note: Although it took a colossal amount of time to install, I was mighty pleased that with Windows 7 I was able to ressurect my Vista installation without having to do a total recovery. Let’s just say using my “only-option-wipe-the-disk” ASUS laptop disk, not only wipes the disk, but the next few days from my life as well.

What about you? Any change? No luck? Or perhaps some problems?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

27 Comments »

• Adobe Reader 9 + Windows 7: We Have Lift-Off! | 4xPDF Blog said:

[…] Karl has tried recheck browser viewing using the latest Adobe Reader 9.1 and the new Windows 7 Ultimate (version 6, build 7100)  – still no luck. Related Posts:Adobe Acrobat 9 + Windows 7: We Have […]

• Adobe Acrobat 9 + Windows 7: We Have Lift-Off! | 4xPDF Blog said:

[…] has tried recheck browser viewing using the latest Adobe Reader 9.1 and the new Windows 7 Ultimate (version 6, build 7100)  – still no luck. We’ll try Adobe Acrobat shortly, but […]

• Roche said:

I’m able to do in-browser viewing of PDF using 7 Ultimate (not sure of the build) + Reader 9.10 + IE 8.0.7000.0

No issues.

• Karl De Abrew (author) said:

Really? You should be able to check the build on your desktop, bottom right. “Mine is Evaluation Copy. 7100”

• Brandon said:

How long will it take for Adobe to fix this annoying bug?

• Roche said:

It’s fixed. It works. I’m not sure what else to say; I can view PDFs inside IE with no issues. Make sure you use the Vista install of Adobe Reader. Screenshot

It concerns me that the misinformation about this persists.

• Marlowe said:

trying to view PDFs takes several attempts. The first attempt pops up an empty dialog box titled Adobe 9 and an ‘OK’ button. Clicking on the button closes the dialog box and in the browser status bar an indication of the PDF file being downloaded is shown. In order to be able to view the PDF in the browser takes a refresh of the window. Don’t think this is the way it should work. If Roche would divulge how he got it to work, it would be appreciated.

Have uninstalled an reinstalled adobe twice and the same behavior continues.

• Fred Dagg said:

I have the same expereince as Marlowe. And that’s in Firefox 3.0.10 and IE 8.

Fred.

• Cindy K. said:

I have the same experience as Marlowe and Fred. Win7 Build 7100 and Adobe Reader 9.1.1.

• Brent said:

I have the same experience as Marlowe and Fred and Cindy with win7 7100 and adobe reader 9.1.1 in Chrome.

• Karl De Abrew (author) said:

Roche, I’ve tried a number of times with no luck, perhaps you’ve done something different. I did notice that in your screenshot the Windows 7 copyright date was 2008, and mine is 2009. Maybe it’s a glitch that has arisen in the newer release…?

• PDF will not open! | 4xPDF Blog said:

[…] If you’re downloading from the web, turn off the display PDF in browser feature within Adobe Reader. Aside from being very slow, and often giving you the impression that something is amiss — you’ll find in Windows 7, (right now) you’ll have no luck at all. […]

• Aggrafics said:

Got the same problem using latest IE 8, Firefox and Opera on a Win7 x32 Build 7100.

I tested in the row mentioned above, 10 time in each browser.
    Then I repaired my adobe reader over the readers menubar>help. Forced restart of Win7 came accross, so I restarted the OS.

This time I chose a diffrent row of testing, starting in Firefox with a result of 10/10 pdfs that opened perfectly, changed to testing in IE 8 with the well known error as result. Trying via Firefox again turned out with the same error.

Repaired Reader > Restart > testing in Firefox and uuups it worked again for another 10/10 pdfs. It seems as if the “solution” so far leads to “keep your fingers away from opening IE after reboot”.

Could anyone check this please and report if it works anywhere else, too?

Editor’s Note: Try asking your questions at our PDF Question/Answer site 4x PDF Help

• Wolf6 said:

Same Problem as Marlowe stated below only refreshing window does not help, just pops up same empty dialog box. Win 7 RC 7100, AR 9.1.1.

Any solutions yet?

Marlowe said:

Have uninstalled an reinstalled adobe twice and the same behavior continues.

• John said:

I had ‘latest’ Adobe Reader installed and it more of less worked (it possibly led to IE lock-ups but I’m used to that) with Win 7 Beta.

Then I did an UPGRADE (unsupported but possible with guidance from Microsoft) from Win 7 Beta to Win 7 RC. Before installing Win 7 Setup said both that Adobe Acrobat Reader and my ATI 4870 video driver should be uninstalled before proceeding with the upgrade!

(It also noted I could reinstall the video driver afterwards – but notably did NOT indicate it safe to reinstall Reader!)

– John

• Karl De Abrew (author) said:

John — just confirming — you’re saying:

* You uninstalled Reader prior to upgrading — and then reinstalled after upgrading?
    * It worked

• Mark Simmons said:

Am using a fresh install of Win7 RC (build 7100) and Reader 9 (downloaded from Adobe website and updated)

Works fine – clicked on the link in the post to viewthe IRS file.

I did used to have the problem on XP with internet explorer 8 installed and I know collegues with that config still do.

Cheers

• Sim said:

I just installed the 9.1.2 update and initially it seems alot better in that I haven’t had a problem opening PDFs either in IE or Firefox. I’m running Win 7 RC 64-bit.

• Bill said:

Hi Guys,

Looks like it is fixed now. I have build 7100. Downloaded Acrobat reader 9 yesterday. Just had same issues of Pdfs not viewable on web pages. To fix, load up Acrobat Reader, select Help menu and then check for updates. Two updates will be run and then its works.

• Bernd Rot said:

Hi folks,
    I have given up the trouble after I tried the Foxit Reader!
    It is much faster and smaller and has all the features I need.
    I even can save form fields with values! Adobe doesn’t do it! Only with the add on you can purchase!
    I think I will stick to Foxit!

• StevenD said:

Is this for real? Foxit can save filled out forms? Whats the catch?

• Rowan Hanna said:

We’ve started a new question and answer site where you can ask any PDF related questions that you have. Simply visit 4x PDF Help and ask as many questions as you like — and if you can, answer someone else’s questions.

• Adobe Acrobat 9 + Windows 7: We Have Lift-Off! | 4x PDF Blog said:

• Adobe Reader 9 + Windows 7: We Have Lift-Off! | 4x PDF Blog said:

• Juli said:

Hi Everyone!

“my browser stays blank or pops up an error, and with IE (8.0.7100.0), it tries to download to the desktop.”

I’m so relieved that this same problem happens to me is NOT due to a problem with my new Walmart eMachine computer! If I don’t open PDF’s online but right-click them to download them Adobe Reader seems to work better.

Oh, try PDF reDirect. It creates PDF files. I LOVE it & have used the free version for a couple of years. It is EASY to use & I copy my online receipts, web pages, etc.

They have 2 versions. The free version offers Merging, Encryption, Optimizing, Preview, Preferences. It is completely free with no popups and no watermarks.

Their Pro version sells for & get this – $19.99! It comes with free lifetime upgrades & offers a free 90 day trial without submitting a credit card before paying. It also offers volume discounts as low as 99 cents per user.

To view the Pro features just click on the ” more” link in the Pro Features. Hope this helps! Thanks! Juli 😉

• Windows7Guy said:

Hello Juli,

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose “hardware” and “software”.

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

• Khawaja Saad said:

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously unable to understand how to resolve the issue, i am really effected a lot due to this bug.Just assist me how to do and what to do?

Leave your response!

You must be logged in to post a comment.